Zero Fatalities Awards Program
The Zero Fatalities Awards Program recognizes individuals and organizations who have made contributions to transportation safety in the State of Utah. The program recognizes accomplishments in the public and private sector by individuals, state and local governments, federal agencies, businesses and organizations that promote traffic safety. This program is sponsored by the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT), the Utah Department of Public Safety (UDPS) and many other traffic safety partners that are dedicated to reducing death and injury on Utah’s roadways.
- Any individual, organization, business or government agency is eligible. The nominee must have made an outstanding effort to change the attitudes and behaviors of motorists leading to the reduction of crashes, injuries and fatalities associated with transportation in Utah.
Criteria for Selection
- There are nine award categories for which nominations will be accepted. Award selection will be made by the Zero Fatalities Safety Summit Planning Committee. Entries will be judged for impact on the community, program effectiveness, creativity, innovation and overall dedication to the field of transportation safety. An additional award category, Outstanding Traffic Safety Program Award, recognizes one UDPS and one UDOT project or subgrantee, and is selected by Department leadership.
The 2021 Zero Fatalities Safety Summit
- Special Achievement in Pedestrian Safety Award: Mary Wade
- Special Achievement in Child Passenger Safety Award: Terry Smith
- Special Achievement in Traffic Safety Award: Sam Winkler
- Emergency Medical Service Injury Prevention Advocate of the Year: Dr. Hilary Hewes
- Volunteer of the Year: Lori Farnsworth
- Volunteer of the Year: Christine Curry
- Outstanding Driver Education Teacher of the Year 2020: Rich Gittins
- Outstanding Driver Education Teacher of the Year 2021: Rick Harrison
- Outstanding Traffic Safety Program Award: American Fork Canyon Working Group
- Outstanding Traffic Safety Program Award: Richfield Police Department
- Executive Director’s Excellence in Transportation Safety Award: Left Turn Signal Improvements Team
- Commissioner’s Excellence in Traffic Safety Award: Ogden Police Department Traffic Unit
- Zero Fatalities Leadership Award: Chad Sheppick