Safe Driving makeS Fun Possible. Drive Sober.
THE TYPICAL DUI COSTS AN AVERAGE OF $10,000 WHEN INCLUDING LEGAL FEES, FINES AND HIGHER INSURANCE RATES
In 2020, 11,654 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (30%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In fact, every day almost 32 people in the US die in an auto crash that involves an alcohol-impaired driver. In 2021, Utah crash statistics show that driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs (over-the-counter, prescription and illegal) caused 157 fatalities.
RECOGNIZING AN IMPAIRED DRIVER
You may be observing an impaired driver if they:
- Drive unreasonably fast, slow or inconsistently
- Weave in or out of their travel lane
- Make frequent lane changes
- Ignore traffic signals and signs
- Drive at night without lights
- Drive too close to curbs, shoulders, the edge of the road or straddle the center line
KNOW THE WARNING SIGNS
- Blurred vision
- Fatigue and difficulty focusing
- Reaction time may be too quick, too slow or not at all
- Reduction in muscle coordination
- Reduced information processing capacity
NOTE: After intaking drugs or alcohol, you may think you are safe to drive. This is an incorrect perception that can lead to disaster. Make a plan beforehand of how to get home safely so you don’t drive impaired.
In 2022, approximately 85% of wrong way driving fatal crashes in Utah were caused by impaired drivers.
Watch the video to see what you can do if you encounter a wrong way driver.
What Can You Do If you Encounter a Wrong Way Driver?
Always drive sober. If taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, read the warning labels and if you’re not supposed to drive, don’t. If there are ANY questions, please call a physician or pharmacist – they are happy to help.
IF YOU PLAN TO DRINK, CHOOSE A DESIGNATED DRIVER BEFORE GOING OUT
- Don’t drink and drive
- Don’t drive if your medication makes you sleepy
- If your friend or family member has been drinking, get the keys to their car
- If you are impaired or are with someone who is impaired, call a taxi or use mass transit
- Report drivers exhibiting signs of impaired driving
“An impaired driver had killed my husband, Michael. In an instant, our family was changed forever.” Make the decision before you get behind the wheel. Please, don’t drive impaired.
NOT A DROP. FOR DRIVERS UNDER AGE 21, IT IS ILLEGAL TO DRIVE WITH ANY DETECTABLE AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL IN THE BODY.
In 2022, alcohol-impaired driver crashes were
18X MORE LIKELY
to be fatal than other crashes
Somebody dies every
from a drunk-driving crash in the
Prescription & over-the-counter medicine can impair your ability to drive